The Senior Estimator will lead a team of Estimators and Estimating Coordinators to perform pricing and bidding of projects.
At Bognet, our business strategy is to be the most proactive General Contractor in the Washington metropolitan area. Therefore, we hold every employee to the standard of being “Relentlessly Proactive,” and we expect this behavior to drive every activity.
The Relentlessly Proactive Estimator
• Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format and coding for CSI division systems.
• Solicit and maintains communications with subcontractors and vendors
• Prepare subcontractor bid packages
• Transmits addenda and other bid information to subcontractors
• Ensure that we have the proper coverage from subcontractors 1 day prior to, and on bid day
• Contact supply houses to obtain additional subcontractor bids 1 day prior to bid day
• Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors
• Submit 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline – or sooner – no exceptions
• Review bid requirements and specifications thoroughly and asks follow-up question on every bid
• Develop a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned
• Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects as necessary.
• Develop RFI’s and clarifications and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage and shows interest
• Attends pre bid meetings and site tours to meet clients and assess construction requirements
• Show interest at the pre-bid meeting, asking questions as appropriate
• Perform a comprehensive “bid day” analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades
• Create bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have the right subs for the project
• Minimize exclusions by “doing our homework”
• Develop meaningful value engineering contributions to reduce price.
• Proactively follow-up on submitted bids and budgets with Architect, Construction Manager and/or Tenant to close business
• Proactively re-work bids and budgets with address questions and concerns
• Proactively work with subcontractors to tighten specifications, address concerns, and complete value-engineering as required
• Develop personal relationships with architects, construction managers, property managers, brokers, etc.
• Sell Bognet’s competitive advantages to close business
• Ability to substantiate all aspects of final estimates
• For negotiated work, ensure a complete review of plans and drawings. Identify items that have been omitted and ensure appropriate accounting for such items in overall estimate package that represents the full scope of the project.
• Utilizes appropriate software programs to calculate, record and track estimates. Maintains skills at utilizing appropriate software to provide optimal job performance.
• Organizes and manages a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized.
• Analyzes completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
• Provides improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs.
• Notify PM, BD, and Executive Teams of a win (request job #)
• Properly turns over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner. Goal is 100% of awarded projects turned over within 24 hours of notification.
• Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern
• Review job cost with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded
• Review all addendums with Project Management team
• Complete project kick-off form to ensure compliance
• Thoroughly check requirements to buy the proper scope and price
• Award subs in a timely manner to ensure release of materials
• Release materials for record only when possible
• Ensure that subs are aware of (and commit to) the project schedule
• Provide subs with as much information as possible (PM, Super, permit status, etc.)
• Send e-mail notice to proceed to subcontractors
• Seek & qualify new subcontractors
• Hold subcontractors to the Relentlessly Proactive and BOGNET Way standards
Experience & Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field
• 10 plus years of experience in commercial construction – base building experience a plus
• Familiarity with Union Subcontractors
• Strong computer skills
• Understanding of the influence of market conditions on pricing
• Demonstrated experience as a leader
• Sense of urgency and “can do” attitude
• Takes ownership of projects/clients – managing up and down
• Ability to work with minimal direction
• Ability to anticipate issues and reactions
• Time Management Skills
Bognet Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, disability or age.